October 5, 2010

The New Sitcom You Should Be Watching


There was a truckload of new TV shows dumped on us this Fall and not everybody has the time or brain cells to spare watching all those hours on the boob-tube. It's hard to tell which new shows are good enough for you to give up your precious hours. Here's a short list for you:

There is the critically acclaimed standout: Boardwalk Empire. The hour long melodrama: Lone Star (Oops) The new guilty pleasure: Nikita. Those are the shows to watch people.

I feel guilty just looking at this picture

Now if you were the betting kind you might say my pick for best new sitcom is Outsourced. I do love me some NBC Thursday night comedies. But Outsourced is not my pick, for a couple of reasons. 1) I love Parks and Recreation and they moved it to a mid-season replacement this year. I'm not happy about that....and 2) I thought Outsourced was going to be racist, but it's not so much racist as it's not funny. Really not funny. It's unfunny.

The show I do believe is the best new sitcom this fall is Raising Hope (Tuesdays, 9pm on Fox). It's brought to you by the creator of My Name Is Earl. But Raising Hope has the potential to be a better show than Earl.

Raising Hope centers on the twenty-something Jimmy who, in a really dark turn for a sitcom, becomes a single dad. The show has relatable characters, a fantastic cast including Martha Plimpton as Jimmy's mom and Cloris Leachman as Maw Maw (I like to think of Cloris as next seasons Betty White). And most importantly it's funny. Like honest-to-god funny, which you don't always get with sitcoms. I just hope they don't mess this up like they did Earl.

You know what? Why don't you just watch the pilot right here. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment