March 24, 2009

Movie Poster Review: Where The Wild Things Are

Here it is, the Where The Wild Things Are poster. And...I have to say it's pretty good. I think not showing the entire Monster was a good idea. People will pay to see monsters. The kid looks like he having a great time....yelling in his P.J.'s like boys tend to do. It seems to convey the same otherworldliness that the book effortlessly radiated. But it's just the poster. I'm going to pull a Obama on this one and be cautiously optimistic. I just wish the monster's hand wasn't resting on the boy's shoulder in a "hey-do-you-want-to-help-me-find-my-puppy-come-with-me-in-my-windowless-van" way. But other than that, it's a pretty cool poster.
Now with that said, I would like a word with the filmmakers.

Dear Spike Jonze and Dave Eggers,

Please do not destroy my childhood. Between George Lucas, the Transformers movie and the upcoming Karate Kid remake my nostalgic childhood memories have been blown to bits. They are hanging by a thread and that thread is Where the Wild Things Are. Your movie has the potential to sever that thread leaving me with nothing but the bad memories from my childhood. Like when my dog died. You don't want to be responsible for that now, do you Mr. Jonze and Mr. Eggers? So I hope, we all hope, that you have created a whimsical imaginative film that stays true to Maurice Sendak's classic children's book. The book that my father read to me as I fell asleep in my Spider-Man jammies tucked in my Transformer sheets.

Sincerely,

The Anthropomorphic Critic

P.S. Update! The Trailer:
So the trailer has been floating around the Internet. I have to say it looks pretty damn good. But until I actually see the movie, I stand by my open letter to the filmmakers.


This is totally reminding me of another Maurice Sendak creation: Really Rosie. Remember Really Rosie? I loved it as a kid. It is soooooo 70's. It has a creepiness to it, just like Maurice's other works and things from the 70's sometimes do. As a kid watching Really Rosie on TV I was always plagued with a lot of questions. What the hell happen to Chicken Soup? What kind of parents name their kid after a soup? Why is Carole King singing about a kid choking to death? The songs are catchy...


...Eating Chicken Soup with rice! God I hope Where The Wild Things Are is a good movie.

Side note: I'm not the first person to review the Wild Things poster. This Guy did it before me. I'm guessing he got paid for writing that. Yeah I know, I know... Sometimes life isn't fair. Entertainment Weekly sucks. Unless they want to pay me. Then in that case they don't suck (as much).

No comments:

Post a Comment