June 23, 2010

My Favorite Monologues: Rocky's Speech to the Russians from Rocky IV

A good friend recommended Rocky's speech from the end of Rocky IV as a good monologue and I couldn't argue with him. Technically it's two monologues if you count the Russian translation of it.

I mean, it's because of this speech that the Berlin wall came down and the Ruskies stopped being pinko commies, right? After the fight he just had with Ivan Draco, Rocky shouldn't be able to stand or give a motivational speech a la Lou Gehrig. Buy hey I shouldn't nitpick, it's Sylvester Stallone, I should be glad he didn't shoot Draco with a grenade tipped arrow.




Man, I love it when the faux Gorbachev stands up and slowly claps.

I was a big Rocky fan as a kid but I was a bigger Mr.T fan. Actually I was more than a fan, Mr.T was a hero of mine and I saw Rocky III in the theater with my older brother. So when Rocky beats Mr. T at the end (oh, um, Spoiler Alert) I totally cried my eyes out in the theater in front of everybody. I was rooting for the bad guy... but it was Mr.T! To the little Anthropomorphic Critic Rocky III was a tragedy. Here's a clip  where Mr. T says "I pity the fool" non-facetiously.


No comments:

Post a Comment